09 October 2006

Five Missions and a Wedding

Now that I’m here, I have been returning to Jarat Chopra's* writing on the UN’s early stumbles and continuing legacy in Timor Leste. Chopra headed up the UNTAET's Office of District Administration before resigning his post in frustration.

Before I start writing about his observations, I am posting a decent timeline of the UN’s role in Timor Leste (from UNMIT):

"UNMIT is Timor Leste's fifth UN mission since 1999, and the third since independence in May of 2002. Each of the five UN missions since 1999 has had a distinct purpose:

The UN Mission in East Timor (UNAMET, June 1999 - October 1999) paved the way for the popular consultation on autonomy.

The UN Transitional Administration in East Timor (UNTAET, October 1999 – May 2002) administered the territory during the transition period.

The UN Mission in Support of East Timor (UNMISET, May 2002 - May 2005) provided assistance in the immediate post-independence period.

The UN Office in Timor Leste (UNOTIL, May 2005 - August 2006) supported key state institutions to strengthen democratic governance and help further build peace."

And, on a bit of a random note, a woman who is in my Pilates class was featured in the New York Times wedding of the week. It can’t get chic'er than Timor!

* Full disclosure, Chopra was a favorite International Law Professor of mine at Brown. The picture is of my street.

No comments: