25 October 2006

Can you guess.....?

Another Security Update!

There has been more violence today in the Comoro area and at the airport IDP (refugee) camp. All the expats are taking notice because the fighting closed the airport; it is expected to be closed tomorrow as well.

In response to the escalation, US NGOs were moved from security Phase I to Phase II. I am not a huge fan of the system, as there seems to be missing some steps in between “send families home” (Phase II) and “everyone get moving” (Phase III). The US State Department at least distinguishes between essential and non-essential personnel (like me!). They so far have been mum.

The Australians are always a bit quicker, and they issued a new travel warning today although they did not change the threat level. Like the rest of us, they are waiting to see how things go.

I would be really bummed to leave. I can’t imagine adjusting to mammoth Jakarta after falling for the small, scrappy, seaside city of Dili.

No comments: