This has been a week of milestones, most notably: my first full week of teaching English and the procurement of a Timorese driver’s license. Getting the license was a multi-step process. First, I went with one of the drivers to a near-by soccer field (see photo below, click to enlage) where I got used to shifting with my left hand – Timorese drive on the left. We then drove around Dili for a while. Key words: 'plan-plan' (nice and slow) and 'rem' (brake/clutch). The driver summarized my abilty: “Your driving is fine, but your steering – not so good.”
Despite his critique, with the help of $10 I was able to get the license without a driver’s test. At the DMV we waited in line and watched motorbike drivers practice swerving around tires. Now that I have the license I will be able to go out in the evenings and on the weekends. With no streetlights and sporadic power, it gets really dark in Dili really fast. I am glad that I'll have the option - once I feel more comfortable - to go out after dusk. Regardless, my new plan is to go to bed at nine and wake up at 6 am – getting out and about before work starts at nine. I took a walk around the neighborhood today and was happy to see that more kids are in school.
Right now, I am trying to find a way to make the curfew work for me. Tonight Telibert (my boss) and I went on an outing to the two "big" supermarkets. In Dili this counts as an exciting friday night.
I plan to take the car to a good birding area this weekend and have a look around. I have been emailing with a conservation biologist who has worked for Birdlife International in Dili, and he recommended a nearby area for waders. He wrote: “migrant waders that are landing now. 2 weeks ago there was Ruff (1 male), Little Ringed Plover and c. 100 Australian Pelicans there.” He also mentioned that a Kentish Plover has been around. I have no idea what a Kentish Plover looks like, but tomorrow the plan is to go find it!

Note: As per request, I changed the blog’s settings so that anyone can post a comment
No comments:
Post a Comment