07 March 2007

Sitting Tight

After a rough weekend, Dili quieted down on Tuesday and for the first time in weeks I did not receive a single security text message. The only violence reported in the media was directed at the President's residence, reflecting the continued anger over Gusmao's authorization of the use of force against the fugitive leader Alfredo Reinado in Same.

Telibert, Rui (a Portuguese officer) and I went diving at Tasitolu this morning. The visibility was poor and there was a bit of current, but it was just ecstatic to get out and into the water. The beach road had yet to be cleared from the night before, and we had to drive around tires that were still smoking, large rocks, and long sections of bottle and auto glass. Since Saturday night, I had not left the NDI compound except to go around the corner for groceries.

Australians and New Zealanders are continuing to be evacuated. One very close friend is being flown out to Darwin tomorrow and will continue her project "off site" until thing smooth out in Dili. Another friend, my wonderful Kiwi tennis partner, has been told that he will be evacuated on the 12 March and the remaining 9 months of his contract cancelled. The logic is that the risk will remain high through the elections (April 9 - Presidential, TBA [possibly late June] - Parliamentary).

Unfortunately, today's lull may not last. The highly anticipated verdict in the Rogerio Lobato* trial is due out tomorrow (although the release may be delayed), and a large-scale anti-government protest is set for Thursday. As I told Jenny, I am hoping for more rain to keep people indoors, clean the streets and cool everything down.

I am quickly adjusting to this new level of uncertainty and after a calm day, a dive, 3 hours of Seinfeld this evening, I am feeling positive about being in Dili and like myself again. Let's hope this respite lasts.



Photos: Road trip up into the hills of Dare on 25 February to beat the heat. The buildings are part of a Portuguese-era seminary.

* Lobato, the former Interior Minister, is accused of distributing weapons to civilian hit-squads during the crisis in April/May 2006.

No comments: