21 December 2006

Bali ho!

I arrived without any problems in Bali and I have spent the last two days walking tourist streets with Sally and even *gasp* going to a mall complete with escalator.

What makes Bali so cool though is that when we came out of a big shopping center at about 9 pm the streets were absolutely packed with people going to temple. Hundreds of women and men, dressed in the formal Balinese style (see photos, from the net) carried painted baskets and bundles of incense through one stone gate, and filed out anther one onto the backs of motorbikes. The scene was lit with the mall's neon lights, and the air smelled of frangiopani, incense, rotting orange and exhaust.

I saw Sally off at the airport, and I am excited to begin part B of my Bali vacation. Tomorrow I am going to head down to Benoa harbor and find the new ship!

No comments: