The previous weekend had been the Katherine ultra challenge (a six stage, 100 km race), and before that we had hiked up onto the escarpment at Gubara. I will write a bit more about the race later, but I wanted to get some pics of the walk up first. It was a strange and diverse landscape - lots of micro-habitats laid out on the harsh tableland.
It is also an area known for Aboriginal rock art. Linds and I went scrambling up around a tumbled spire in search, only to find a number of great pieces on the much more sensible flat ground. It was my first time seeing outlines of hands, and I was struck by the tenderness of small child's mark. In other areas there are examples of Aboriginal contact art: precisely rendered ships and airplanes, and white men invariably drawn with their hands in their pockets, often smoking pipes - the Top End equivalent of British colonial etchings of indigenous folks squatting with spears.
1 comment:
Kate, Sorry I had forgotten about your blog. Then I started looking at this ... just who is this person in Darwin ... in Dili ... elections ... Linds ... gong. Nice photos. It looks so ... warm. Will try to be more diligent in future.
Post a Comment